Root Operations Coding in ICD-10-PCS requires the coder to...
Coding in ICD-10-PCS requires the coder to understand what is happening in the case in order to pick the appropriate root operation. Complete the following table using Root Operations and Body Parts that you would expect to see in the following scenarios. There may be more than one Root Operation that fits, but you only need to list one. Pick what you think would be the Root Operation for the primary procedure and the PCS Body Part. Use the discussion board if you have any questions. Each question is worth 2 points, one for the correct Root Operation, and one for the correct Body Part.
Diagnosis Procedure performed Root Operation and anatomy
Example: Colon carcinoma Part of the large intestine has to be taken out and the cut ends reconnected. Excision or Resection, Large Intestine depending on how much was taken
1. Myocardial infarction-a coronary artery is blocked, and a PTCA won't be sufficient to open it up. Coronary artery bypass graft-a portion of a leg vein is connected to the diseased artery ahead and behind the blockage. The diseased portion of the coronary artery is left in place.
Root Operation: Bypass
Body Part: Artery
2. Brain tumor The surgeon has to cut an opening in the skull and cut out the diseased part of the temporal lobe. Hint: Use the Body part key and look up Temporal Lobe.
3. Disease in a hip joint Arthroplasty-the acetabulum and femoral head are cut out, and metal or ceramic components are put in.
4. Myocardial infarction-a coronary artery is blocked. PTCA-The surgeon goes in endoscopically and inflates a balloon to open up the artery. The artery is not cut open.
5. Stone in a bile duct The surgeon goes in endoscopically through the mouth to remove the stone from the bile duct.
6. Ectopic pregnancy in a fallopian tube The surgeon has to cut out the part of the fallopian tube that contains the embryo.
7. Possible metastasis to the liver The surgeon uses a needle inserted through the skin to take a small biopsy of a nodule in the liver.
8. The bones in the spinal column are diseased and/or dislocated
The surgeon uses metal screws, rods, and bone graft between the joints to stop the affected vertebral joints from moving.
9. End stage kidney disease
The native kidney is taken out, and a donor kidney is put in.
10. Breast carcinoma
The diseased portion of breast is cut out.
11. Atrial fibrillation-the conduction system of the heart is malfunctioning causing an irregular heart rhythm
Cryoablation of an atrioventricular node. The malfunctioning conduction system node is burned either by heat or cold.
12. Gangrene of the right lower arm
The affected body part has to be cut off.
13. Displaced fracture of a bone.
The bone has to be put back into place, and screws are put in to hold it together while it heals.
14. Abdominal hernia
Synthetic mesh is sewn into place to support the abdominal wall and prevent the abdominal contents from coming out.
15. A synthetic joint prosthesis gets infected in the right hip
They take the joint components out of the right hip
16. A woman has had repeated miscarriages and is currently pregnant again.
A cerclage stitch is placed in the cervix to try to hold it closed longer and hopefully prevent another miscarriage.
17. Finger was cut completely off in a band saw accident
The surgeon has to reconnect all parts of the finger (skin, bone, nerves, vessels, tendons, etc.)
18. Patient has severe facial injuries and can't breathe normally because his/her airway is disrupted. The surgeon has to make an opening in the trachea through the skin to allow the patient to breathe.
19. Ascending aortic aneurysm
The diseased portion of aorta is taken out, and a synthetic portion of vessel is put in. The synthetic vessel includes the vessel and a synthetic aortic valve.
Hint: There are two Root Operations that fit here.
20. Kidney stone A catheter is inserted through the urethra to the kidney, and the stones are broken up with ultrasonic waves. The pieces are not taken out, they will pass naturally.
I need help doing all the root operations and anatomy
This question has already been tackled by one of our writers and a good grade recorded. You can equally get high grades by simply making your order for this or any other school assignment that you may have.
Every Student Buys Essays from us, here is why!
Pressed for time to complete assignments or when you feel like you cannot write, you can purchase an
essay on our website. Some students also want model papers to use as samples when revising or
writing. There are also students who approach our essay writing service to beat deadlines. We handle
every type of homework, assignment, and academic writing tasks. You can buy college essays and other
assignments here. At a glance, here are some reasons students prefer our website.
100% Original Essays and Papers
You can be sure that you are getting a paper that is custom written based on your instructions. We do
not sell papers that are pre-written. Instead, we write every essay from scratch. When you say “write my
essay,” we respond by giving you a paper that is 100% original and free of any plagiarism. The essays you
purchase from us have never been sold anywhere.
Flexible & Affordable Prices
It does not cost a fortune to get academic writing help on our website. If you have a question from class,
place an order, get a discount, and get cheap essay writing services. What you see as the price is what
you pay for. There are no any hidden charges. If you need urgent papers, they might cost a little more,
but the price is worth the quality you get in the end. Hire a professional academic writer beginning from
$13 a page.
Anonymity, Privacy, and Confidentiality
No one will ever know that you purchased an essay or assignment from our website. The essays you buy
from us are written by experts. Your data is only used to coordinate the essay writing services you get.
No one can access your personal information and data. Go ahead and order an essay from our website.
It is safe, secure, and convenient.